Winter is the perfect time to re-organize your home and re-design your spaces. While the winter weather is keeping us inside, I want to share some great tips on sorting through our homes and organizing for the New Year.
Top 10 Organizing Tips:
1. Determine how you wish to use your spaces. How the spaces function is key. Do you need craft area or bar area?
2. Sort, purge and donate piles should be made in each area you are organizing. If you have children’s items take them with you to donate unused items. This will help them learn to part with things.
3. When doing closets take out everything, you need a completely empty closet to start. Only bring back into the closet what has been worn in the last year.
4. Place all hangers the same direction then each time you wear something hang the hanger the other direction. In six months the hangers going the wrong way have not been worn and those items can be donated.
5. The closets in your home should be bright and inviting. You should be able to see what you have in your closet, consider installing good lighting.
6. Items that are only needed once a year, such as evening bags, and shoes should be stored on the highest shelves in the closet. Keep more frequently needed items at your fingertips.
7. In the kitchen keep things that work together stored together, such as baking pans, electrical appliances, plastic containers (with Lids), pots and pans, and large platters and bowls.
8. In the kitchen purchase some drawer dividers to keep utensils in order.
9. Think about how your kitchen flows, place glasses near the sink or the refrigerator. Put snacks in convenient drawers or cabinets. For young children place pre-portioned baggies of their favorite healthy snacks were they can get to them.
10. Rotate food items in your pantry; create menus to use up items that are getting close to expiration date.
Now that you have gone through all the closets, pantry, garage, and cabinets you can feel good about what you have in your home and how you have helped others with what you have donated.
When your home only has what you need and what you love in it you will be able to see where maybe something is missing. Do you need more lamps, or new comfortable throws and pillows in your home? Now you can really get ready to re-design your spaces in 2013.