If you are reading this and it’s blurry, then you probably had a few too many Long Ireland Iced Teas than you should have last night! Ouch! Now you have a pounding headache, puffy red eyes and dry skin! Don’t worry, it happens to the best of us. As a former Manhattan single woman, I have had my fair share of late nights out on the town. But, as a makeup artist, there’s no way I could go do makeup on clients looking like I was shouting to people, “Hey! I was out late last night chugging martinis!”
Since there isn’t a cure for a hangover, take the advice of the old saying, “Fake it until you make it!”:
- If you can remember to wash off your makeup before bed, it will help a lot. And since you’re already tipsy, just slather a ton of moisturizer on your face.
- When you wake up, use Visine to get the red out. For the puffiness, I love good old-fashioned tea bags! Just dip them in cold water and put them on your eyes for five minutes. The caffeine will take out the excess bloat. If you don’t have teabags, try cold spoons. Just put them in the freezer for five minutes and then place them under your eyes until they warm up.
- Use the most hydrating creams you have for the morning after a late night. You are going to be really dehydrated, and your skin will need it (Remember, your skin is your largest organ!). Re-hydrate your face, eyes – and don’t forget your neck!
- Hiding behind a wall of makeup will just make you look even more tired. Today, less really is best. Go light on your foundation and use concealer where needed. Dewy formulas look lighter and brighter. Add some life back to your face by dusting a golden and peachy bronzer all over. Light eye shadow will draw attention up and away from the darkness that’s probably more prominent today under your eyes. A light, smudgy, soft eyeliner on only your top lash line will make you look more tired.
- Curl and mascara your lashes to open those sleep-deprived eyes, pop a bright color on your cheeks and wear a bright lip-gloss. Stay away from matte lipsticks because they can be very dry and we need moisture, moisture, moisture!
Now, stop beating yourself up and have a cup of coffee. The only one who knows what you were up to last night is you!
Photo: Neysa Ruhl Photography
Location: Fischer Homes
Model: Elizabeth Correa Mayer
Makeup Artistry: Jocelyn Sparks, Zoë Custom Cosmetics