Cincy Chic teamed up with TASTE Magazine — your source for Food, Drink, Fashion and Style — to provide you with recipes, food/drink related editorial and their extensive restaurant guides. This recipe comes from a TASTE contributor, to (hopefully) a plate near you!
Pan Fried Onion Dip
Yield: 2 cups
- 2 Large yellow onions
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1/2 Cup good mayonnaise
- Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.)
- Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized.
- Allow the onions to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth.
- Add the onions and mix well.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Serve at room temperature.
Photos: Courtesy of Martha Stewart