TASTEful Recipe: Shrimp in Cuban Enchilado Sauce with Spinach and Parmesan Crisps
Cincy Chic teamed up with TASTE Magazine — your source for Food, Drink, Fashion and Style — to provide you with recipes, food/drink related editorial and their extensive restaurant guides. This recipe comes from a TASTE contributor, to (hopefully) a plate near you!
Shrimp in Cuban Enchilado Sauce with Spinach and Parmesan Crisps
1 1/2 cups of finely Shredded parmesan
2 lbs Shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup Vinegar
Approx 2 oz Extra virgin olive oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 cup White wine
1 (8 oz) can of Tomato sauce
1 (4oz) jar of Pimentos, finely chopped
1 tsp Tabasco (or to taste)
1 pinch of Red pepper flakes
1 tsp Salt (and more for Shrimp)
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Dried oregano
2 Bay leaves
11 oz package of Baby Spinach
- Once shrimp is peeled and deveined, place shrimp in a colander and pour the vinegar over it to “rinse,” allow it to drain.
- Place colander over another bowl (to catch the vinegar as it drains) and place in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place mounds of about 2 tablespoons of parmesan on a Silpat Silicone Baking Mat, about 2″ Apart from each other.
- Bake for about 5 minutes until cheese melts and has come together.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Do not move them until they are cool and crisp and you are ready to plate the appetizers.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to hot stainless steel pan and saute onions and garlic until fragrant and onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add white wine, allow mixture to come to a boil for about a minute.
- Add tomato sauce, chopped pimentos, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, Tabasco, salt and pepper.
- Stir mixture, allow to come to a boil, cover, reduce temperature to low and allow to simmer slowly for about 25 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from refrigerator, sprinkle with salt, and stir into sauce, raise heat to medium and cover – cook for about 4 minutes.
- Remove shrimp with slotted spoon onto bowl, cover and keep warm.
- Add spinach to sauce over medium-high heat to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat.
- To plate: Place 1 parmesan crisp on place, top half of it with spinach and top with a few shrimp.
Serve and enjoy!
Photo: Betty Hakes