Food Tasteful Recipe: Jasmine Rice with Saffron, Pistachios and Sun-dried Red Currants
Tasteful Recipe: Jasmine Rice with Saffron, Pistachios and Sun-dried Red Currants
Cincy Chic teamed up with TASTE Magazine — your source for Food, Drink, Fashion and Style — to provide you with recipes, food/drink related editorial and their extensive restaurant guides. This recipe comes from a TASTE contributor, to (hopefully) a plate near you!
Jasmine Rice with Saffron, Pistachios and Sun-dried Red Currants
Makes 4-6 servings
2 Quarts Whole Milk
1 Cup Jasmine Rice
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
6 Green Cardamom pods, cracked
1/4 Teaspoon saffron strands, crushed
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 Cup pistachios, shelled
1/2 Cup Sun-dried currants or raisins
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, rice, sugar, cardamom and saffron.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for about 45 minutes, until reduced by half.
- Discard the cardamom pods.
- While the rice mixture is coming,melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the pistachios and sun-dried currants.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the pistachios are lightly browned.
- Add half of the pistachio mixture to the rice pudding and stir well.
- Serve warm or chilled, sprinkled with the remaining pistachio mixture.
Photo: Courtesy of www.oswegotea.com