Cincy Chic teamed up with TASTE Magazine — your source for food, drink, fashion and style — to provide you with recipes, food- and drink-related editorial and their extensive restaurant guides.
This recipe was published along with Liz Davis’ interview in the Spring 2007 issue of TASTE, to (hopefully) a plate near you!
Macy’s Fall 2007 Culinary Council Series, featured two weeks filled with celebrity chef appearances, demonstrations and cooking classes to prepare customers for the busy holiday entertaining season, Tyler Florence demonstrated the following recipe at the Macy’s in Kenwood on Nov. 8, 2007.
Tyler’s French Onion Soup
3 tablespoons bacon drippings (4 bacon strips)
6 Maui or Vidalia onions (3 pounds/8 cups), thinly sliced
2 large shallots, chopped
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 cup burgundy wine
2 teaspoons dried oregano
3 quarts chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Sliced baquette, toasted and seasoned
Swiss cheese, grated
Flat-leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, fry four strips of bacon until crisp.
- Discard bacon.
- Sautè onions and shallots in bacon fat until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar, wine and oregano. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir frequently until the onions caramelize and are golden brown.
- Blend in chicken broth.
- Simmer gently for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into four ovenproof bowls.
- Float the croutons on top of soup and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Broil until cheese melts.
- Garnish with flat-leaf parsley, serve immediately.