Cincy Chic teamed up with TASTE Magazine — your source for Food, Drink, Fashion and Style — to provide you with recipes, food/drink related editorial and their extensive restaurant guides. This recipe comes from a TASTE contributor, to (hopefully) a plate near you!
Lemon Cheesecake with Fresh Strawberries and Walnut Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/2 Cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 Cup walnuts toasted, then finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 Eight-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 3/4 Cups sugar
- 3 Tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 1/4 Cup whipping cream
- 1/3 Cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 Cups sour cream
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
Port Syrup Ingredients
- 1 750-ml bottle Tawny Port
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 8 Large strawberries, unhulled, halved through stem
- Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar and lemon peel in large bowl until fluffy and smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add sour cream, whipping cream, lemon juice and vanilla beating just to blend, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating just to blend after each.
- Pour filling into crust (filling should just fill crust.)
- Place springform pan on rimmed baking sheet and bake cheesecake until top appears set, puffed, and golden at edges but still moves slightly all over when shaken, about 55 minutes.
- Cool cake 5 minutes.
- Mix sour cream, sugar and vanilla in medium bowl.
- Spoon topping over hot cake, spreading to edge of pan covering completely and bake 10 minutes.
- Transfer cake to rack and allow to cool 10 minutes.
- Run sharp knife around top 1/2-inch of cake to loosen.
- Place hot cheesecake directly in refrigerator and chill uncovered overnight.
Port Syrup Method
- Stir Port, sugar and vinegar in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves.
- Boil until liquid is reduced to 3/4 cup, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool then mix in lemon peel.
- Starting below stem end of each berry half, make three lengthwise slits through tip.
- Fan berries and place around edge of cake.
- This can be made 8 hours ahead when covered and chilled.
- Release pan sides.
- Slice cake with a hot knife and drizzle with Port syrup.
- Serve syrup alongside.
- Cake and syrup can be prepared 2 days ahead.
- Cover cake and keep refrigerated.
- Cover syrup and let stand at room temperature.
Photo: Courtesy of Irish Independent News