Food Sandra Lee Recipe: Mexican Chocolate Sandies
Mexican Chocolate Sandies
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 10 minutes (plus 18 minutes per batch)
Cool: 5 minutes
Yields: 20 (2 1/2 inch) cookies
- 3/4 Cup sliced almonds
- 1 Pouch (17.5-ounce) sugar cookie mix
- 1/4 Cup packed brown sugar, Domino
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar, Domino
- 1/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Stick (1/4 cup) butter, softened
- 1/4 Cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 Cup bittersweet chocolate chips, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread a thin, even layer of the almonds on a cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven about 10 minutes or until almonds are lightly toasted. Remove from cookie sheet and cool completely.
- Place cooled almonds in a medium zip-top bag. Press out air and seal. Using a rolling pin, roll over almonds until crushed. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl combine cookie mix, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Add butter, shortening and egg. Stir until dough forms. Stir in toasted almonds and chocolate chips.
- Using your hands, roll two tablespoons of the dough into a ball and place on prepared cookie sheet. Press ball with the bottom of a drinking glass to flatten. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing evenly on cookie sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheets for five minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks. Let cool.
Photo: Courtesy of Sandra Lee