Cincy Chic: To start, what do you consider the highlight of your career?
Patty Brisben: The highlight of my career has been the ability to empower women and give them permission to comfortably explore their bodies, intimacy and sexual health. Women should demand better relationships in and out of the bedroom, and I’m so excited that I have been able to contribute to this movement.
Cincy Chic: How has Pure Romance grown? Any plans to expand internationally?
Brisben: Pure Romance is not officially international, though we do have consultants who are working overseas in countries throughout the world. We also have plans to expand internationally in the next five years, but for now we are focusing on reinforcing and expanding the markets we have built within the states. Pure Romance is projecting to do over $80 million in retail sales in 2009.
Cincy Chic: We’d love to hear about your fun and interesting experiences developing and naming new products! Care to share?
Brisben: I work with an amazing team of mostly women when developing and naming our products. This works out well because this primarily reflects our target market. We make sure our products are always tested before they ever hit the warehouse shelves, and we do this by presenting potential items to our 200-plus board members (who are the top consultants in the company).
Naming the products is really so much fun, and we are lucky to have a creative staff. We include everyone in the process from executive staff to packers and pullers in operations.
Cincy Chic: With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, tell us how Pure Romance celebrates the “love” holiday.
Brisben: Back in the late ’80s, early ’90s when I was a consultant, I had so many requests for parties around Valentine’s Day I just couldn’t fulfill all of them. I didn’t want to play favorites either, so I decided to do an “Open House” in a local conference room so that everyone could attend and purchase products there. It was so popular it became a tradition every year and typically would take place the weekend before Valentine’s Day.
To this day, the tradition continues with Pure Romance’s Valentine’s Day Warehouse Sale. It’s the only time of the year we open our doors to the public, and both men and women are able to shop straight from the warehouse shelves as well as ask questions to consultants monitoring the floor. Couples love this since men only shop at www.PureRomance.com and our parties are for women only. This year the sale runs Feb. 6 to Feb. 14 from noon to 8 p.m. every day except Valentine’s Day, which is 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Brisben: Instead of following the crowd and making reservations at the local restaurant, I would suggest picking out a new recipe the couple has never tried and tell them to cook it together on Valentine’s Day. Cooking can be sexy and fun, and if you’ve ever seen the film “9 1/2 Weeks” you’ll find there are some very creative ways to come up with dessert!
Cincy Chic: What are some of your tips for longevity as a couple?
Brisben: One of my best pieces of advice is to always communicate. If a couple decides to start a family, I always remind them to dedicate as much time and energy toward their children as one another. Too often couples become consumed with the day-to-day responsibilities of raising kids and forget to nurture their own relationship. One of the best gifts you can give your children is setting a positive example and showing them their parents love and care about each another.
Cincy Chic: What’s the best advice for a couple to resolve an argument?
Brisben: Couples should set the grounds for an argument before they even have their first fight. Conflict is inevitable in relationships, so it’s important that couples agree they will always respect one another, never hit “below the belt” and fight fair.
Cincy Chic: Finally, can we get a list of your favorite Pure Romance products?
Brisben: 1. Pure Romance Between the Sheets is my first book. I took the 25 years of experience I’ve had as a Consultant and CEO/founder of Pure Romance. It’s truly a comprehensive look at intimacy, including everything from sexual health issues to communication in and out of the bedroom.
2. We’re at the height of the cold, and one of the best ways to boost the immune system is through massage. Couple the Pure Romance’s soy-based Burning Desire candle with the Hot Heart Massager to simulate a hot stone massage in the comfort of your home. Massage has also been noted to have therapeutic qualities and helps to open the doors of communication between couples.
3. I developed Ex-T-Cee more than 16 years ago when I first started Pure Romance, and it’s still one of our top sellers to this day! We’re definitely living in a world of low libido, and this topical arousal cream is a wonderful way to enhance foreplay and intimacy for women in the bedroom.
4. The Jelly Tool Belt is a wonderful couples toy that”‘levels the playing field” between men and women. Men are like microwaves and women are like crock-pots. Let’s face it: Women often need a little more time to get in the mood! You should always pair c-rings with a creamy lubricant like Lickity Stiff.
5. Sometimes it can be arousing to put all of your focus on your partner. A great product for this is the Super Stretch. It’s a very versatile product that can be used alone or incorporated into lovemaking. Many women actually will pack it in their boyfriend’s/husband’s suitcase when he will be away on a business trip. Just be sure to always pair with a creamy lubricant like Whipped.
6. 7th Heaven is an amazing bedroom toy for women that can be used alone or with a partner! It’s a great product for women who are exploring their own pleasure points, and it helps them to better communicate those hot spots to their partner. With seven different speeds/pulsations it offers a unique pleasurable experience every time!
7. I like to think of Bling Bling as a bedroom toy that is literally a piece of art in the bedroom! Encrusted with rhinestones, it lives up to its name and is sure to deliver a lot more pleasure than your every day piece of jewelry! All of our toys should be used with lubricants, and in this case I would recommend Pure Romance’s Sweet Seduction.
Courtesy of Pure Romance