Operating under the daily stress of working outside or within the home, or trying to get a decent meal to the table in minutes can seem impossible! You can prepare a meal in less time than what it takes to get “take out” and driving back and forth picking it up.
Cooking a meal in less than 10 minutes requires including a few staples on your shopping list and having a well-stocked pantry:
- Olive oil
- Canned legumes
- Pepper flakes
- Dried fruits and nuts
- Dried or fresh herbs: rosemary, parsley, cilantro, arugula and basil
After your weekly trip to the grocery store, always begin by washing the fruits and vegetables you’ve purchased. Then place the produce in a large bowl filled with water and two tablespoons of baking soda. Rotate the produces in the water and use as needed.
Here are some suggestions for some quick and healthy snack and meal preparations:
- Vanilla yogurt with flaxseed, nuts or diced fruits make a quick snack or a great dip for fruits and vegetables.
- For sandwiches, buy a multi-grain baguette and switch things up by drizzling oil, pepper, oregano onto the bread, then add arugula or cilantro in addition to your other toppings.
- Keep boiled eggs in the refrigerator to combine with salads, sandwiches or as a snack.
- Fresh fruits such as cherries, grapes, apples and apricots are tasty additions to meals. Use washed lemons and limes for water and beverages.
- Vegetables such as asparagus, cherry/grape tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, sliced carrots and fresh beans cook fast. Bagged produce is your friend! Cucumbers, fennel and celery also have a short cooking period.
- Cheese favorites: Parmesan or feta cheese
- Thinly sliced protein such as chicken, sirloin tip and fish fillets only need five minutes to cook!
For 7 great recipes that only take seven minutes to prepare, click here.
PHOTO: Courtesy of Eat Know How