After taking part in the festive foods and free-flowing alcohol, you might be thanking the heavens for elastic pants and Gatorade. Instead, revive your body and skin with a deep-cleansing detoxification.
According to www.healthy.net, detoxification is the process of clearing toxins from the body or neutralizing or transforming them, and clearing excess mucus and congestion. Many of our bodys toxins come from our diet, drug use and environmental exposure, so detoxification involves dietary and lifestyle changes that reduce toxin intake, usually practiced over a three to four day period of time, such as the weekend.
To detoxify yourself after the holiday splurge (it may be advisable to wait until after the New Year as well), various experts on www.healthy.net and www.ehow.com recommend eight simple lifestyle changes that will ultimately make you feel refreshed and ready for 2008.
- Take herbal remedies; several kinds are beneficial to a detoxification, such as milk thistle, dandelion, red clover, burdock and sarsaparilla; Vitamin C is helpful as well. These supplements help your liver and kidneys flush toxins.
- Say no to Big Macs, and any other junk food that is fried or fast. Sugar is also a no-no for one wanting to rid toxins from the body.
- Throw out beauty or cleaning products that are made with unhealthy chemical ingredients. Stop by Aveda in Rookwood or Cher-Chique Beauty Bar in Covington for the natural alternative.
- Eliminate bad habits such as alcohol consumption, caffeine and cigarettes.
- Eat a high-fiber diet; fruits, vegetables and grains. But not too much lessening your food intake will help your body detoxify.
- Exercise and/or sit in a sauna. The sweating that occurs as a result of these activities releases toxins from your body.
- Use a coarse brush to brush your body; it stimulates the skin, which helps the body detoxifyits also very relaxing.
- Drink two quarts of water a day to flush out the toxins.
Other tips to remember while detoxifying, according www.healthy.net, cutting down on the stress in your life with the help of yoga, meditation or whatever personally relaxes you will advance the process. Taking big, calming breaths brings oxygen to the blood, which also helps the process. Finally, if you feel horrible the first day or two, dont lose heart. Its just from the impurities being flushed from your system.
Photo: iStock Photo